Sunday, June 15, 2008

Still more words

Matt Matt is now saying "more" and "go" as well as "eat" "beach ball" and "bat". Interesting collection of words we have going.

1 comments:

Vic said...

Hello Penny,

I happened to land on your blog by accident. I was a music blog and I had a curiosity of find more of them. So I just started clicking on the "next blog" link and bualla I landed on yours. That quote "Still more words" caught my attention.

I am a father of a 9.5 and a 5.5 year old.

My older son had the same vocabulary as your son and my younger one too, but not as bad. I'm almost very positive that your son has the same condition as my older son.

You may want to do some research on "Apraxia" if you haven't found out yet his condition.

It's not life threatening, but very hard on parents and kids that have "Apraxia". My son has verbal/speech and motor Apraxia.

We didn't know he had this condition, we just thought he was late on his speech. Until we really got concerned that he couldn’t speak, he had just turned 3 and still nothing. We wanted him to start preschool or Headstart, to see if that would help him on his speech.

The school district set up an IEP (Individualized Education Programs) http://www.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/iepguide/index.html and evaluated him and they wrote up a 6 page report of their findings. They noticed he had a Verbal/speech and a Fine Motor skills problem and they thought to believe it was "Apraxia" per the speech patholigist from the school district and others that were at the IEP meeting.

We gave the report to his pediatric and he referred us to a nuerologist and confirmed he did have Verbal Apraxia.

The Nuerologist recommended the school to give him I think 4 hours of speech therapy per day for 5 days a week. The school district provided transportation to and from school.

He went through so much speech therapy, but he enjoyed it. On the IEP meetings they had set goals for him and he reached most of them over the years, thanks to all of his teachers and everyone involved in the School District.

We are happy to say he accomplished all his goals this year, but still you can notice his verbal is not perfect.

I suggest you check with the school district and have them evaluate your son and hope they can put a program together for your son. I think they can start as early as 2years old.

Not all districts know about this condition so do a lot of research and educate your district. I’ve read that most districts don’t want to help parents because there are no funds or they don’t have the people to help these kids. Don’t give up and bug them until they do something to help you and your son.

Here is a link that may help you start your investigation.

http://www.apraxia-kids.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=chKMI0PIIsE&b=788447&ct=464187

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/childrensapraxianet/

Good luck and hope this helps. I would also like to apologize for the intrusion, I normally don’t do this. I just think sometimes people want to be left alone and not butt in into their problems. I guess I just wanted to do my part of a good deed, I don’t know. So many apologies again.

Vic.